Section 2 This act shall come into force from the day following the date of its publication in the
Section 3 The Statistics Act BE 2508 shall be repealed.
Section 4 In this Act:
"Sample Survey" means survey by means of enumeration from some selected sample units relevant to such information "Agency" means government agencies, state enterprises, public organizations, local administration organizations and other state agencies.
"Statistics" mean statements or figures of collected data
"Survey" means collection of existing data to obtain statistics
"Census" means survey by means of enumeration from all units relevant to such information.
"Director" means the Director of the National Statistics Office.
"Competent officer" means a person appointed by the Director to carry out this Act.
Section 5 The National Statistics Office shall be the central state agency in charge of the technical
Section 6 The National Statistics Office shall have the following authority and duties:
implementing the statistical work under the Master Plan as mentioned in (1). 2
(1) Preparing the Master Plan for the implementation of the government statistical work.
(2) Preparing statistics standards to present to the cabinet for approval.
(3) Promoting and developing statistical work both for the government and private sector.
(4) Conducting census and surveys or directing the surveys on various statistics of the country.
(5) Coordinating and consulting with agencies to prepare plans that define the responsibilities in
plans and methodology for data collection as well as processing and analyzing statistical outcomes.
(6) Providing recommendations, advice or assistance to agencies regarding the preparation of work
statistical database of the country (8) Providing statistical service to the general public.
(7) Coordinating with agencies to create statistical network in order to obtain important and timely
(10) Cooperating and coordinating with other countries and international organizations regarding statistical work.
(9) Disseminating statistics and organizing education and training on statistics.
(11) Performing other acts as prescribed by the law and as assigned by the cabinet.
Section 7 For the preparation of the Master Plan under Section 6 (1), the National Statistics Office shall coordinate with relevant agencies and prepare the plan in such a way that it is consistent with the national policy and development plan. Once it is approved by the cabinet, relevant agencies shall follow the Master Plan.
Section 8 Agencies shall prepare their statistics in accordance with the plan defining the responsibilities under section 6 (5), and shall ensure that they meet statistical standards.
In the event that any agency fails to perform according to paragraph one, the National Statistics Office shall report to the cabinet for instructions as it is deemed appropriate.
Section 9 When a census or sample survey is going to be conducted and specified that individual’s duty to provide data. It should be announced in the related Ministerial Regulations .Such announcement shall have at least the following information:
(2) Duration of survey
(3) Area where survey will be conducted
(4) Individuals who will provide information and the methods of providing information
(5) responsible agency
Section 10 When Ministerial Regulations is set under section 9, the Director announces details on the procedures in conducting a census or sample survey regarding the following;
(1) data collecting methods
(2) questions for the respondents or details of the questionnaire as well as instructions for filling out the questionnaire.
(3) The period during which the competent officer shall conduct interviews or send questionnaires.
(4) The period during which the respondents shall return the completed questionnaire to the competent officer.
(5) Other information that the public should know.
The notification under paragraph one shall be made in the Government Gazette and on electronic network systems or other media.3
Section 11 When the notification under Section 10 is issued, the individual required to provide information under Section 9(4) shall have the duty to provide information or fill out the questionnaire as described in Section 10(2) correctly and truthfully.
Section 12 When the notification under Section 10 is made, the competent officer be authorized to enter the building or workplace of the person required to provide information or fill out questionnaire between sunrise and sunset or at any other time as notified by the said person in order to make inquiries about the information or fill out the questionnaire, or to check the accuracy of the information. To this end, the said person shall accommodate the competent official as appropriate.
In performing the duty under paragraph one, the competent officer shall present an ID card to relevant parties. The ID card shall be in the format prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations
Section 13 In the event that the person who will provide information or fill out the questionnaire is unavailable, in accordance with the procedure, method, period of time defined in the Ministerial Regulations should be applied to obtain data.
Section 14 The agency shall coordinate with the National Statistics Office for the benefits in creating statistical network and developing important and timely statistical database of the country. in the event that the National Statistics Office requires information from the survey or information from records, reports or any other documents that are in the possession of any agency, for conducting important and necessary statistics for country development, such agencies shall send that information to the National Statistics Office within thirty days as of the date notified by the National Statistics Office.
The information that the agency is required to submit under paragraph one or two shall not disclose the name of the person providing the information unless such person has given consent in writing or such information is already isclosed or accessible to the public.
(1) Such disclosure is for the purpose of any investigation or legal proceedings in a case relating to an offense hereunder. (2) Such disclosure is for the use of agencies in the preparation, analysis or research of statistics provided that such disclosure does not cause damage to the information owner and does not identify or disclose the data owner.
Section 15 Personal information obtained under this act shall be strictly considered confidential. A person who performs his or her duty hereunder or a person who has the duty of maintaining such information cannot disclose it to anyone who doesn't have a duty hereunder except in the case that:
Section 16 By virtue of Sections 14 and 15, anyone performing duties in an agency or the National Statistics Office shall not use the personal information provided by the owner or given in the questionnaire for any purpose other than the statistical analysis or research.4
Section 17 For all the information that can be disclosed, the National Statistics Office may provide such information as a service to the general public. The cost, as appropriate as for statistical service, may be charged according to the criteria and rates prescribed by the National Statistics Office.
Section 18 Any person who fails to provide information or fill out the questionnaire in accordance with the method prescribed in the notification under Section 10, or fails to return the completed questionnaires to the competent officer or an agency within the period specified in the notification under Section 10 (4) , or fails to accommodate the competent officer performing his/her duty under Section 12 shall be liable for a fine of not exceeding three thousand Baht.
Section 19 Any person with the duty to provide information under Section 11 who provides false information shall be liable for imprisonment of not exceeding three months or a fine of not exceeding five thousand Baht, or both.
Section 20 Any person who violates Section 15 or Section 16 shall be liable for imprisonment of not exceeding one year or a fine of not exceeding twenty thousand Baht, or both.
Section 21 All Ministerial Regulations, notifications or regulations issued by virtue of the Statistics Act B.E. 2508 and are in force on the date this Act is published in the Government Gazette shall continue to take effect so long as they are not in conflict with or in contrary to the provisions of this Act, until the
Ministerial Regulations, notifications or regulations hereunder are issued.
Section 22 The ICT Minister shall be in charge of the enforcement of this Act and shall have the power to issue Ministerial Regulations to carry out this Act. Such Ministerial Regulations shall come into force when published in the Government Gazette.
General Surayud Chulanont